Senegalese head coach, Aliou Cisse has revealed why he selected Bayern Munich forward, Sadio Mane, in his 26-man World Cup squad.
The former Liverpool forward was included in Senegal’s 26-man squad to travel to Qatar in less than two weeks despite injury concerns.
Naija News recalls that FIFA’s Senegalese secretary general, Fatma Samoura, noted that the nation will take extra measures to ensure that the red-hot forward get fit for the event.
‘We are going to use witch doctors,” she said.
However, Naija News had previously reported through the French source L’Equipe that the injury was severe enough to take the player out of the competition and undergo surgery.
The reigning African champions have serious concerns over Mane’s fitness as Senegal President, Macky Sall on Wednesday also wrote via his Twitter, “Heart of a lion, Sadio! My heart is totally with you!”.
But, the Senegalese manager has keyed into the same faith with Samoura that the attacker would get fit in the coming days as he noted that he is “very hopeful” that no surgery would be necessary for the injury.
Mane’s participation in the competition was in question when he hobbled off during Bayern Munich’s 6-1 victory against Werder Bremen on Tuesday.
The 30-year-old was identified as having a right fibula injury and will go through more testing.
Cisse while speaking to reporters on his choice, said, “I preferred to keep him in the group,
“Sadio Mane is an important player in our squad, it is important to continue to follow his injury, hoping that in two or three weeks there will be progress. But we are really optimistic.
“We will give ourselves all the necessary means to allow Sadio Mane to recover.”
Senegal was assigned to Group A and will play the tournament’s first match against the hosts Qatar on November 20. After that, Senegal will play against the Netherlands and Ecuador.