Good morning Nigerians! Here is today’s summary from major Nigerian Newspapers below:
1. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared Prof Chukwuma Soludo as governor-elect of Anambra State. Professor Florence Obi, Returning Officer of the election, made the declaration at exactly 1.50am on Wednesday after APGA emerged winner of the Ihiala supplementary poll.
2. Suspected bandits have killed at least seven policemen in an ambush near Zonai village in Magami district, Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State. The Public Relations Officer of the Yariman Bakura Specialist Hospital, Awwal Usman Ruwandoruwa, said the remains of the slain officers were brought to the hospital around 8am on Tuesday.
3. The House of Representatives yesterday, resolved to summon the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mohammed Bello, over what it described as the deteriorating state of the nation’s capital. This follows a motion moved by the Deputy Minority Leader of the House, Toby Okechukwu, during plenary on Tuesday.
4. Minister of Police Affairs, Mohammed Dingyadi, on Tuesday, said that a new salary package was underway for the officers and men of the Nigeria police. He disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Salaries and Wages Commission to work out the package and submit it to the government for consideration.
5. President Muhammadu Buhari, Tuesday arrived in Paris, France capital, for a one-day official visit as guest of President Emmanuel Macron at Palais de l’Élysée, and will afterwards attend the three-day Paris Peace Forum (PPF), November 11-13, 2021. The development was contained in a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Chief Femi Adesina.
6. The Senate on Tuesday in Abuja condemned the impeachment of the Speaker of Plateau State House of Assembly, Hon. Ayuba Abok by eight lawmakers and the attendant disruption of legislative business. The House also declared that the act be set aside in the interest of democracy and the people of the state.
7. Gunmen suspected to be operatives of the Eastern Security Network (ESN), the militant wing of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) on Tuesday, engaged joint security operatives in a gun battle in Ihiala Local Government Area. The attack came in the heat of the supplementary governorship election holding in the council area.
8. The Senate on Tuesday approved the conference committee report on the Electoral Act Amendment Bill. The report was approved after the Senate Leader, Yahaya Abdullahi, moved a motion during plenary. In the report, both chambers of the National Assembly empowered the Independent National Electoral Commission to determine the best mode to transmit election results.
9. The House of Representatives has given nod to a bill seeking to extend the retirement age of teachers from 60 to 65 years. The legislative approval was sequel to the consideration and adoption of a report presented by the House leader, Hon. Ado Doguwa and Hon. Adekoya Abdul Majid, at the plenary.
10. Former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria and candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, Prof Chukwuma Soludo, has dedicated his victory in the 2021 Anambra Governorship Election to the three policemen killed when he was attacked by gunmen in April 2021 during a town hall meeting in his hometown in Isuofia in Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State. He spoke during an acceptance speech shortly after he was declared winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission on Wednesday morning. NAIJATABLOID