Here are a few things to know about the famous gospel singer, Sammie Okposo, who was announced dead on Friday, 25th November 2022.
The singer is known for his hit song “Wellu Wellu” which was the first song on his debut album titled ‘Unconditional Love’ released in 2000.
- Sammie Okposo was born on May 30, 1971, and passed on at the age of 51.
- He was born and raised in Delta State.
- The multiple award-winning singer began his musical journey as a member of his local church where he played the piano for the choir at the age of 10.
- Sammie was also a music producer, psalmist and CEO of Zamar Entertainment.
- He released his first album Addicted in 2000 and the second in 2004.
- His most recent album and the last, The Statement (2018) was produced by the Grammy-winning Kevin Bond.
- In 1995, he joined Nollywood as a soundtrack producer and eventually ventured into music production.
- He was an ambassador to Globacom, United Nations Peace Ambassador and had other honours to his name.
- Sammie Okposo made headlines in January 2022 when he apologised to his wife, Ozioma for cheating on her with an American lady known also as African Doll who accused him of impregnating and abandoning her in 2021.
- Following the incident, the singer stayed away from ministry for a while before rejoining it after a few months.
- In May, the veteran singer was involved in a car accident along the third mainland bridge in Lagos where Okposo revealed that he “was saved from the hands of the devil and his cohorts.”
- These are a few awards that he bagged during his lifetime;
KORA Best Gospel Artiste in Africa (2006);
Crown SABC Best of African Gospel (2014);
Afro Hollywood UK Best Gospel Artiste (2005);
NEA Best Gospel Artiste of the Year (2007&2013);
NMA Best Contemporary Gospel Artiste among others.